Roberta Style Lee is more than just speaking, coaching and styling. It’s about inspiring true confidence and empowering you to be the best version of yourself from the inside out – and doing it in a responsible way.
It’s where conscious behaviour all comes together:
Unlike most businesses I sat down and created my values first and built everything else on top of them. They are my guiding principles in everything that I do, at work, at home and everything in-between.
I believe it is possible to live life and do business ethically and sustainably without causing harm to other people, animals or the planet. It’s why I created the Ethical Brand Directory a non-profit platform to showcase other brands that care.
Ethics means something different to us all. Here at Roberta Style Lee we define ‘ethics’ as our moral compass. Everyone who works on the Roberta Style Lee brand is aware of my personal values and how I feel about the fair treatment of others, animals and being honest in business.
Running the Daily Business Operations
Every action taken is done so with consideration and thought.
The impact of our businesses decisions are always measured against their impact on:
- Other people
- The environment
- And budget.
Whilst every effort is made to only invest in and support other companies with strong ethical and sustainable standing – sometimes the focus is on ‘resourcefulness’and making the most out of what already exits – even if this is not the most ethical or eco-friendly option. Avoiding sending items to landfill and maximising the life expectancy of all business related products and equipment is our way of being more ‘sustainable’.
- Taking time to select suppliers and ask questions about their ethics and sustainability policy
- Supporting local, independent businesses wherever possible
- Partnering with other businesses with similar values
- Reducing travel by car
- Consolidating travel into certain days where possible
- Walking more
- Cycling more
- Minimising the use of business cards
- Ensuring flyers and printed materials are kept to a minimum
**Where budget permits the most ethical, sustainable and eco-friendly options will be used for any promotional products or general day-to-day business supplies.
Staff and Suppliers
Every member of staff that works for Roberta Style Lee and the Ethical Brand Directory is ‘encouraged’ to take responsible action whilst under the employment of the ‘business’.
All members of staff and volunteers are recruited based on:
- Personal relationship
- Attitude and commitment towards ethical and sustainable business
- Shared values
- A genuine interest in doing business for ‘good’.
Sustainability in business can mean lots of things – and can be interpreted in many ways. Here are Roberta Style Lee we define sustainability as the impact the business operations has on the environment. Sustainability is about our environmental footprint.
Personally, I hate ‘waste’ I like to be resourceful and the state of landfill and the overuse of plastic makes me feel deeply saddened. It is the general lack of lack of respect of our beautiful planet that compels me to do as much as I can to reduce my negative impact on the world.
The Roberta Style Lee Supplier and Partnerships Auditing Process will now include:
- Reviewing any potential company, supplier, service provider or venue’s ethics and sustainability policies.
- Discussing with the appropriate person what their efforts look like in terms of being responsible and ethical in their direct workplace and across their supply chain
- Understanding if their sustainability efforts across operations, sourcing transparency, materials used, fair working conditions for workers, environmental policies, shipping & packaging.
- Checking and validating any claims and memberships and certifications.
- Interviewing the founders/owners to understand their position on ethics and sustainability in business
- Reviewing their website and published policies.
- Highlighting if key information is missing and asking them to provide it.
- Personally reviewing the products and services (if applicable).
- Asking them to demonstrate the lengths they are taking to become a more ethical and sustainable business.
**This applies to the way the Ethical Brand Directory is managed as well.